Thursday, November 4, 2010

Onward and Upward

Well, what a day!  First off, I have to brag.  I spent an hour on the phone with Taz.  Go ahead girls, cheer with me.  Very productive discussion on how people who live alone like things how they're placed and how it's disruptive when someone else comes in and does things that upset the natural balance you're used to when living alone.

Much less to say we talked about the strengths of someone who respects your space and how you do things, trying hard not to be disruptive or distracting.  Yeah, it was a good conversation.

Anyhow, let's talk about Journalism 102...oh what a triumph!  I got back a perfect score on my current events quiz, followed by a 99 out of 100 on a profile I had to write, then a 96 on my press release.  Thank heavens I like to write because it's the one thing I do really well.  As Taz says, I have a great way of putting things.

Wednesday's discussion class got changed a bit, instead of going in for discussion, it was our day to go into our editing sessions with Prof. H.   He's such a sweet man and he's so very encouraging.  He said he loved my take on the broadcast journalism guest lecturer that I had to write the profile I got a 99 on.  He also remarked on what a wonderful storyteller I am.  After getting my grades for the last several assignments, we went through my feature story.  When I'm done, I'll post it for you to read...it's tentatively titled, "The 4.0 Gamer."  Lucky for me, I've got my ace-in-the-hole on the project, my pal Dr. Celia Pearce.  Woot!  Love ya Doc!  She's my main source for the article and after Doc, I got my friend Stephanie to be my second source.  Steph is a senior at UNLV and an elementary education major to boot, so between the two I've got a real winner when it comes to my article that I'm trying to get published.  Prof. H. said that if the Rebel Yell didn't pick up my story then he was going to take it for East Paradise, another publication that comes out of UNLV, which is web based instead of print.  Either way, he said my feature story had legs for miles and that it was a great piece.  He edited here and there and also gave me great suggestions as to how to really clean up the story in a way that was not only a good read, but a great one.

After school it was time for a trip to the Endocrinologist, the fabulous Dr. Groovin'...now of course that's not his real name, but it's close enough.  You should see him, he's from Turkey, he's fairly tall at around 6'2, stockily built and has long black hair with streaks of gray.  He's a total crack-up.  Besides KP, Dr. Groovin' has been my psychiatrist while I've been going through everything.  He's always a cheerful presence and always so very encouraging.  Well, on the thyroid front, it's going well, no deterioration and everything is as it should be according to my bi-monthly blood test for my TSH and T4 levels.  And on top of that, we celebrated 27 pounds that have bit the dust.  That's right, I lost another two pounds!

I called my father as I walked out of the endocrinologists office.  He and I had a great visit as I told him about all of the fantastic things that are happening right now.  My grades are great, my health is wonderful and I get to hang out with Taz.  Life, as far as I'm concerned, can't get any better.  Daddy was thrilled and was so excited for me.  I thanked him right off the bat because I wouldn't be the great storyteller I am if it weren't for the evenings I sat on my grandfather's bed and heard my parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents sit and "spin tales," a euphemism for passing on oral history and sharing comedy.  I remember being around 6 or 7 perched up on my grandfather's four-poster bed, looking across the room at my grandmother who was in a hospital bed, bedridden because of severe rheumatoid arthritis.  But, even though she was bedridden, it didn't matter, the woman was an immense source of joy as she told stories and made people laugh.  She was beautiful with her silver hair and her amazing slate blue eyes that told the story along with what she was saying.  Ms. Ginny must've been one of the most amazing women on the planet because when we told her goodbye when I was 10, I remember the funeral being a packed house...they couldn't let anyone else in due to fire codes, and as we walked out after the service, I remember passing people stacked four and five deep lining the walkway that lead into the chapel.  That's how I want to go out.  I want a packed house, I just hope in my lifetime I'll touch enough people in a positive way that I'll warrant that type of send-off.  But, I couldn't do what I do now without her amazing influence and her genetic gifts to me.  If there's a heaven, I hope she's seeing me carrying on her legacy of great stories.

After I got off the phone with Dad, I drove home.  (I don't talk on my phone and drive, it's dangerous.)  I sung along with the radio and just felt good.  I looked up at the beautiful blue autumn sky and smiled.    On the way home, sitting in traffic, I sat amazed with the fact that I'm surrounded with nothing but positivity.  My professors love me and are being supportive, helping me along the best they can to help me do well.  My doctors laugh with me while they tend to my ailments and I have friends who love me that I can call anytime I need them.  It's truly amazing that when you give positive words and are sincere, how everything just falls into place filled with joy and laughter.

But it was when I wrapped up the day talking to Taz that it really hit home, he said, "I have no doubt that you'll do what you say you're going to do because I know you're sincere."  That made me smile because he didn't doubt my motives or anything...he knows one simple fact, I want him to feel better.

Look at my world...it's filled with good things.  I wish everyone could have a day where everything comes up roses and reminds you that you get what you give, and I guess I'm getting mine back in spades.  It's a very good thing.

Oh and for the song of the day, let's pull one off of the playlist from Taz's ruined old CD, Vanessa Carlton's "Pretty Baby."

No comments:

Post a Comment