Friday, February 10, 2012

Fun Week

Lately, I've been in a full-on fight with my depression and thanks to a friend, she reminded me that things are never as bad as we think they are.  She reminded me that even though we strive to keep the big picture in mind, sometimes we get mired in our own little worlds.  She looked at me with a very concerned look and said, "There is no problem that you can't face, the problem is that you run the risk of stressing yourself out to the point you make yourself sick.  You have to take care of your mind and body before you can do anything else, so get cracking on that."  She also noted to me that I'm falling back into old destructive cycles and that I needed to remedy that because as she said, "We all know where that leads..."

I think she had a very valid point.

So instead of worrying about all the stresses in my life I've done everything in my power to alleviate, I decided to not take it so very seriously and instead woke myself up, making an effort to have a fun week this week.

Of course I can't tell about everything because some of it has to do with school and the very hush hush happenings in one of my classes (that I'll be more than happy to write about after April), but I will say I'm having a blast doing all of the neat pieces that is my campaigns class.  Lots of fun things going on.  I'm having fun with music and fresh ideas.

What's bizarre is that it is filling me with energy I thought was all but gone.

I was reminded of something fun when I considered the movie Flashback with Kiefer Sutherland and Dennis Hopper, where Dennis Hopper as the film's 60's icon "Huey Walker" said, "The 90's are going to make the 60's look like the 50's."  You know, he was right, which makes my classmates laugh when I call the crowd I ran with at their age "The Hippie Revivalists."  *looks around*  We were!  LOL!  The scary part is that I think a few of them think it's really cool to be a hippie revivalist to which I go, "No no no no, back to the books you, you don't get to do that..."  LOL.  I want them safe, not doing anything near the craziness that was the 90's, much less the 60's that I adore so but only know by movies, rumor and hearsay.

But, in all things, it's fun to look back, but like a wrecking ball coming at our heads at 100 miles an hour, the future is dead ahead and we can't avoid it, no matter how much fun it is to walk down memory lane.

Speaking of breaking cycles, I actually went to a movie theater to watch a movie last week, seeing Underworld: Awakening.  It was in 3D, so the special effects were cool and I enjoyed watching Kate Beckinsdale kick butt against Stephen Rea's really creepy bad guy.  The downside? I was bummed to watch it without popcorn.  While the film really wasn't heavy and I just viewed it as a special effects film, it really is a great popcorn movie.  Note to self, make sure to pop your popcorn at home, put it in a ziploc bag and carry it into the theater in your purse with a small travel-size bottle of water.

So today I'm spending my day cleaning up, try to break a few more destructive cycles, study for a quiz tonight and making sure I've at least gotten 30 minutes of exercise today.

The song of the day is for my fellow hippie revivalists...from the film "Flashback," Big Audio Dynamite's "Free."

No comments:

Post a Comment