Sunday, February 13, 2011

Having the flu sucks.

Yes, I have the flu.  They tell you, "get your flu shot," but for me the sheer paranoia of going through the flu because of the inoculation is enough to keep me away from them.  I haven't had the flu in years...the last time I was this sick was probably 5 or 6 years ago...maybe more.  Outside of an occasional cold or 24 hour bug, I've not had the full blown flu in a long time.

Yes, I'm sniffling, aching, coughing and just being all-around disgusting.  It all started on Thursday.  I got through the school week all in one piece, I was feeling good until Thursday night when I started having this annoying cough.  I just kept coughing.  I knew it wasn't a good sign.

Then it occurred to me...there was a girl who walked into my Monday Global Media class coughing her head off.  She was one row up from me.  So, guess who gave me the creeping crud?  Some girl who didn't have the common sense to stay home when she's sick.  Am I mad?  YES.  When Doc Fish saw her coughing her head off, he threw her very gently out of class, but not until her bug came to visit me.

I spent Friday flat on my back.  I went through three sweat-soaked t-shirts.  I was hot, then cold, then hot again, then cold.  Then came the sneezing and the blocked up nose.  I'm not happy.  Then aches.  More aches.  More ibuprofen went down with more liquids.  I went from awake to asleep, then I'd wake up again, take a drink, watch a bit of TV then pass back out again.

Then, in the middle of all of this, my two partners for my Global Media project send me all sorts of info for our project.  Since I'm the creative, we decided last Wednesday I get to design the PowerPoint presentation.  I looked at the Blackberry that held the e-mails and said, "It can wait," and passed back out again.

Saturday was just so much fun!!!! (Ok, I'm being sarcastic.)  I woke up feeling like a truck had hit me, but since the girls had gone through so much trouble to get their research over to me, I sat enclosed in blankets with floor heater on and glass of juice creating our PowerPoint presentation.  Want to see what our backdrop looks like?


Yeah, I found a photo I had taken of some Mayan ruins on my honeymoon almost 10 years ago and gave the photo some magic with Photoshop.  Looks pretty cool, huh?

*Aaaaachoooo*  Excuse me, I had to sneeze again.

Where was I?  Oh, the backdrop.  I just gave it a little zing and placed it, then just hammered through my research, then added their research to it, looking at the clock and knowing I had to get it done so that way I could curl back up with more Ibuprofen and blankets.

After I was done, I e-mailed it to my partners with a note that said, "I'm down and I'm not going to be in class until I'm at least 90% and contagion-free."  At that, I fell back onto the couch with my pillow and blankets to watch some TV and eat some dinner.

Then I called KP.  If there was any guy who could bring levity to my day, it was him.  We talked for a bit, then I passed out again.

This morning I got up and felt like a truck had hit me.  I took my thyroid meds and laid back down to wait for it to absorb.  After that, I made myself some lunch, cleaned my kitchen and turned on the TV.

Now, being sick, you sleep and watch TV a lot.  You do, that's the nature of the beast when you're sick.  I have to say, this is the sickest I've been by myself.  The last time I was this sick, the ex was here to take care of me.  No no, it's much harder to be sick when you're alone.  I grew up in a house that when you were sick, you stayed down.  Mom was always on the scene with food, liquids, medicines, you name it.  The ex wasn't the best in the world at taking care of me when I was sick.  He always made me get up and come to the table to eat dinner.  How I grew up is that you were brought dinner and ate laying down, then the plate was taken away, you took meds and then you went back to sleep or watched more TV until you passed back out.

Being sick while living alone sucks so huge.  I'm having to get up, aches and all, and do everything.  I'm tired and I'm stuffy and coughing.  I don't want to get up, but I have to so I eat and do everything I need to do to take care of myself.  This sucks.  I'm spoiled...I know it, but it's always so much better when you have someone to take care of you when you feel like roadkill.  

But what's worse, is that Friday and Saturday are always great TV days.  Tons of great movies, good shows, all around good entertainment to get the mind off the aches and pains.  Sundays suck as a TV day.  The movie channels have nothing but crappy movies, so I flipped the channels to find "Ace of Cakes" and "Cupcake Wars" on the Food Network.  Really?  Is this what I'm reduced to?  I'm sick and the best I can find is shows on baking and food?  *Facepalm*

Ugh.

*aaaaachooo*

Damn.

I hate being sick.  Having the flu sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment