Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Iron Man 2 - oooooh.....

As we know, Robert Downey Jr. came in at #3 on my hotties list.  So, the other day, Mom calls me up and she asks if I want to go to the movies.  I reply, "I'd really like to see Iron Man 2", and being that my parents are sweet and fairly adventuresome, they agreed to see it with me.

Well, unlike the Robin Hood adventure, this time, I was on-time for the film.  Ok, stop for just a minute and marvel at the fact I was on-time.  Moments where I'm NOT a walking tardy are something to be ultimately awed at.

So being that I was on time, Mom and I headed over to grab some popcorn and meet Dad in the theater.  This time around, I got to see the trailers and whathaveyou but none of the films really looked appealing to me.

Then we finally got into Iron Man 2.

Before I get started, one thing.  A long, long, long, long time ago, I got to meet Mickey Rourke.  He didn't look back then like he does now.  When I met him, he still looked like he did in 9 1/2 Weeks.  Now, he doesn't even look like the same guy.  WTF is with his lips?  They look like they got into a fight with a vacuum cleaner!  Ugh!  I'm a little disappointed in how his looks have gone so south, but age will do that.  Age, drugs, boxing...all of the fun things that people do to themselves in the name of "living their lives".  I'm glad he's back on the scene and acting again, but he's definitely looked better.  But I digress, let's get into the film.

Since I'm already on the topic of Mickey, I thought he did an outstanding job as Ivan Vanko.  He didn't speak much, but even through the thick Russian accent he put on, he was still this amazing presence on screen.  Even when the oh-so-hot Robert Downey Jr. came on screen, he held his own.  So thumbs up to Mickey, even though I think he should sue whomever messed up his very beautiful face. 

All during the film, I kept waiting for Mickey or someone to punch Sam Rockwell and OMG, I wish someone would have.  I don't care for Sam Rockwell.  In every film I've seen him in, he just comes off as an obnoxious ass.  I never have been able to stomach him, then added on top of the fact that all he tried to be was a Robert Downey Jr. knock off...his presence ruined the film for me.  I was grateful for every moment he wasn't on screen.  Putting Robert Downey Jr. next to Sam Rockwell was like putting MAC Cosmetics in the same makeup bag as Cover Girl. (*Shudder* That's just SO wrong on so many levels...on par with putting a $500 bottle of 1992 Taittinger Artist Collection Champagne next to a bottle of $5 Asti Spumante.  Not even in the same ballpark and just so wrong it makes me writhe in agony and actually makes me nauseous.)  Every time he showed up, I just wanted to reach for the remote and hit fast forward...not just because I dislike Sam Rockwell, but because his character was just a lot of extraneous rah-rah that really had nothing to do with the rest of the film.  All he was, in essence, was Ivan's financial backer.  That's really all he was.  The way the story was written, Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell's Character) didn't really have any relevance other than to show the petty jealousy small and unimaginative people have for those who have wonderful gifts.  I'm so over the whole jealous people thing that the word repugnant doesn't even seem to cover how really obnoxious and pathetic the character of Justin was and how the character was a detriment to the film. He just reminded me of a cheap salesman all the way through, but maybe that's what he was intended to be.  I'll leave that for you to decide.

Scarlett Johansson.  Ok, I know that guys think she's eye-candy, and I'm fine with that, after all, she's a very pretty young woman.  But, putting her next to Gwyneth Paltrow?  Yikes.  It was like putting Sam next to Robert...something there just did not mesh for me.  But, props to her for filling out the cat suit.  She was very athletic and she was interesting as the "superhero undercover" thing.  I just felt that she was extraneous and really served no purpose for the film plot.  She added some tension for Pepper and Tony, but not enough to make her a credible distraction.

Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper Potts.  Rock on!  Woot!  Totally awesome!  Pepper really put her foot down for Tony this time.  She really lit it up as a reminder to him that even though there are dark hours, things just keep moving forward.  She looked great in her suits and she really kept the film moving in unique ways, but the one thing that really got me that was disappointing is that she stood there like a damsel in distress in one scene when we all know her character has the brains and wit to know when she's in trouble.  That was the only down moment I could ever pin on Pepper.  Other than that, she just rocked.  I love gals who can be a foil for the boys and not be swept away by charm or looks. 

Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.  Ok, who doesn't love Sam Jackson?  The mushroom-cloud-laying-motherfucker from Pulp Fiction.  He was in full effect and I enjoyed him immensely on screen.  He is just so damn cool you can't say anything negative about him.  Rock on Sam.  Keep on gracing the screen for us!

Ok, this time around for Col. Rhodes, we had Don Cheadle.  No offense to Don, he's a great actor, but I'd have much preferred to see Terrence Howard reprise his role.  I know that there were contract problems there and a squabble over money, but Terrence should have sucked it up and enjoyed his role in the franchise.  I thought he'd have been much better in the role than Don Cheadle, but since we got Don, I thought he did a bang up job although he was wearing someone else's shoes.  He just didn't have the same kind of presence as Rhody as Terrence Howard did in the first film.  But other than that, hey, it's cool, I enjoyed seeing War Machine make his debut.  But did anyone else notice something?  The Mark II suit, well, it had that icing problem, remember?  What the hell was it doing in the air? 

And then we get to the real goods of Iron Man 2 - Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark.

I don't think there is a single person on the planet that will argue that Robert Downey Jr. was not the perfect choice for Tony Stark.  I think the guy is the real life Tony Stark sans the flashlight in the chest.  No one personifies Tony Stark better than Robert and I think that that one point alone is what makes all of us appreciate his rise from the ashes...now, peculiarly enough...that line "rise from the ashes" is in the film when Tony talks about himself.  Hell, I thought Robert had walked into the confessional on screen for all of us.  I was so moved.  I sat there cheering, going "Hell yeah!!!"  But, the one part that really made me sad was watching Tony Stark "fall off the wagon" for a scene.  My fists clenched and I wanted to weep.  I just wanted to cry "Nooooooooooo!  Don't do it!"  My stomach knotted for Robert and the fact I never want him to fall off the wagon again.  He's too special to do that to himself.  That he could pull off Tony Stark falling off the wagon, well, I hope it served him as a really good kick in the pants as a 'don't go there' moment, because for me, that was the most painful and uncomfortable moment in the film.

Otherwise...if you've not seen the trailers or millions of articles out there on the internet about it, oh my goodness, go slap down your $7.75 for a ticket to see Iron Man 2.  It's 2+ hours of fun.  The story isn't the world's best, but it introduces some new pieces to the overall big picture for the franchise.  If you're like me,  you'll get your money's worth just to see one of the hottest men to grace the silver screen.

So, Iron Man 2...a big YES from me.  Just do it, you'll thank me for it later.

And don't even get twisted, when it comes out on DVD, it's going in my collection...and THAT way I'll get to fast forward through the parts with Sam Rockwell in it and still get to see the rest of the goods.

And by the way, does anyone know the name of the new element that got invented?  I think it should be called "Hottonium"...because Robert Downey Jr., he's just HOT as Iron Man/Tony Stark, along with one other reason, my real pal named Tony...oy veh, he's hot too!  *giggle*  I'll be his Pepper Potts any day!

On that note, for my pal KP, I have a song for the day, "Wish" by Letters Lost.  

No comments:

Post a Comment