Saturday, September 10, 2011

In Bloom

I have to say, I had a trying day today.  I've been putting a lot into my various projects, between school, work and relationship stress lately, it's been a handful that has worn my patience down to the nub.  I just feel like I'm putting in a lot and not getting much out of things.  But, you know what, let's not discuss that, it's a waste to dwell on it.  Instead, let's talk about good things and how patience can win out even when you think you've wasted your time, spent energy needlessly and felt undervalued.  I like to believe in the "what you put in is what you get out" theory when it comes to setting myself to task and getting things done, so I think what I've done on my balcony lately is a great reminder to myself that things take time to come to fruition.

Amongst all of my running around lately, I made an executive decision to beautify my home environment to make sure I had a built-in stress reliever.  I think when life likes to tear you in 15 million directions it's good to have a nice area that you've built for yourself that takes you away from the stresses, rigors and other mind-numbing stupidities that life never fails to offer.  What's better than coming in to a wonderful flower-filled area after sitting in bumper to bumper traffic surrounded by not-so-clever drivers after school?

I took my very bare balcony which only housed two succulents (a jade plant and my aloe vera plant named PepĂ©), and turned it into a floral haven that is a work in progress.  I found a wonderful little table for a very reasonable price along with another chair for my balcony just in case I have visitors.  Everything on the balcony right now seems as it is centered around the color red.  Anyone who knows me knows that the color red is not usually something I decorate or deal in, I usually work in blues.  But I like red, it's rather nice, it has the flavor of fire and passion, and also it says, "Sit and stay for a while" in a very comfortable tone.

I also picked up a couple of window boxes for the balcony as well, but as my apartment complex doesn't allow anything to hang off the balconies, I had to mount them facing inwards and I filled them with blue hyacinths that I'm trying to convince to give a quick bloom before the weather gets too cold.  I love the smell of hyacinth, they're just so calming and peaceful, so when everything is in bloom it will attain the balance I always try to seek, similar to the sun and the moon, or more appropriate to the desert, fire and ice. It's my way of balancing my inner warrior by introducing a bit of the poet.  It's also an exercise in patience, waiting for everything to balance out and create a harmonious whole.

But, I have to say, my favorite in all of this is when I look out my window and see a small pot of Fireball Gerbera Daisies.

Aren't they wonderfully cheerful?  I love Gerbera Daisies, they're always so big and they make me smile when I look at them.  They're my reminder that all the elements in the universe work together for a reason, that out of chaos, there is always beauty to be found.

So, on Wednesday, I got dirty once again, planted my hyacinth bulbs, mounted the window boxes and placed my daisies on the table.  It's just so lovely.  I've never been much of a balcony gardener, but it's nice to know that when I get home I can sit in my little area surrounded by what I like to see and smell so that I can find my zen and get a few moments to clear my mind before the usual suspects come and drag me back into my hectic life again.

So, for those of you needing to get your zen on, I highly suggest that you take a moment to find what makes you bloom.  It might be a full day of rest, it might be a few hours of just watching the world around you, or it might be just a moment sitting among flowers that you planted yourself.

Either way, you'll find yourself in bloom.

Let's enhance our zen by taking a deep breath and giving a nod to our beloved technology with Daft Punk's "Adagio for Tron."

No comments:

Post a Comment