Friday, March 11, 2011

Movie Soundtracks

I'm writing while out and about today.  Yes, that's right, I've gotten off my butt and gone someplace outside other than a bar for ladies night, down to campus for class or to my parents house.  I'm out today getting my oil changed at the Toyota dealership.

Now, I will say this, my Prius rocks.  It does.  I get 49 miles to the gallon.  Now a lot of my friends who have ridden in the Prius liken it to sitting in a spaceship and they get really freaked when the gas motor cuts out.  "Your car just died!!!!" Um, no, it didn't.  It's called electricity.  hehe.  But, every so often, the oil has to be changed and of course, with the 2007 model year, it seems as there is always some sort of recall part they're replacing.

Now if you're thinking to yourself, "OMG! She had one with the sticky gas pedal!"  No, I didn't, but they did preventative work on it to make sure that I didn't.  This time around it's the water pump that's been recalled, so that's being replaced today (glad to know that now before the hot Vegas summer kicks in!)

So, I'm sitting in the dealership lounge on one of their computers, and listening to music on my Blackberry and THAT is what brings us to the topic of the day.  Yeah, I know, it's a long road from how I get the ideas to post and how I post them.  When is life ever simple?

I was going through the music on my Blackberry, preparing to begin my fourth reading of Luke Sullivan's "Hey Whipple, Squeeze This" when I realized that 99% (literally) of the music I have is from movie soundtracks.

Here's what's on the Blackberry right now:

Alice by Avril Lavigne   (Alice in Wonderland)
Better Days by Eddie Vedder   (Eat, Pray, Love)
Click Flash by Ciara    (Sex and the City)
Derezzed by Daft Punk   (Tron: Legacy)
Down to Earth by Peter Gabriel   (Wall-E)
Got 2B Luv by Bottlefly   (My Life in Ruins)
Heaven Knows by Squeeze   (Hackers)
Humans Being by Van Halen   (Twister)
Julie's Theme by Alexandre Desplat   (Julie and Julia)
Kissing by Bliss   (Sex and the City)
Myst Medley by Jack Wall and the Video Games Live Orchestra   (Myst)
Pilgrim by Eric Clapton   (Lethal Weapon 4)
Sajna by A.R. Rahman   (Couples Retreat)
Someday Soon by K.T. Tunstall   (The Women)
White Dress by Alexander Desplat   (Under the Tuscan Sun)
Your Hand In Mine by Explosions in the Sky   (Love Happens)
Zion (a.k.a. Slap it) by Fluke   (Matrix Reloaded)

Outside of those songs, I only have one song on the Blackberry that doesn't derive itself from a movie soundtrack.  It's Katy Perry's "Firework."

Ok, yes, I'm obsessed with movies and I live in lala land.  No, I'm kidding, but seriously, I really would love to sit in a room with the people who decide what popular music gets used in movie trailers and the movies themselves.  I think some of the best music is found on movie soundtracks because they give you an emotion and a visual to connect the song to, you remember how the music went along with the action on the screen, and in most cases they're great movie moments!  Take for example the song "White Dress."  How can you forget the sight of Diane Lane standing next to the water and the huge splash of a wave with her in the white dress?  Great movie moment.  I'll go a little further...K.T. Tunstall's "Someday Soon."  Meg Ryan putting up the words "What Do I Want" up on a corkboard wall, and the scenes of her rebuilding her life after her cheating husband left...great movie moment.  For me at least.

I think I like movie music best because I can't associate anything else with the songs, I can't attach an anxiety ridden moment to a song I heard in a movie; I hear the song and it reminds me of the film. So I guess I do it as a defense mechanism.  Odd isn't it, how we shape our experiences to give us the most comfort?

Maybe I'm just nuts.  LOL.

Ok, for the record...I've been told I need to write a book by four different people this week.  Doc Cat thinks I should write about how I've taken my life from negative to positive, a lady at the library thinks I need to write one on all of the fascinating people I've met in my lifetime, and the hedonism that goes with being young and pretty.  Someone else wants me to write on the positive influences and amazing people in online worlds.  Yikes.  No, no, no.  The blog will do fine, thank you very much.  We're not done yet.  We're amassing material at this point.  We'll get there someday.

Anyhow, ok, my car still isn't done, but I've finished my post.  Argh!  It takes me an hour just to author a post...darn, too bad I didn't have a rant today or some long story to tell that would have taken two plus hours to write and edit.  Why do those long posts always happen at home?!

Ok, back to Whipple and tunes on the Blackberry.  Fourth time total to read Whipple, second time to read the third edition.  BTW, I gave my pal Haley my old copy of the second edition.  We're learning more from Luke than we are from our college textbook.  Yikes.  Well, we might as well, UNLV's getting gutted (again) by budget cuts.  Pretty soon the IMC track at UNLV will only consist of Whipple.  Sad, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment