Monday, January 17, 2011

It's Syllabus Day!

Yes, it may be Martin Luther King Day, but it's also Syllabus Day for me!

Ok, come to find out, I've got class four days a week this semester.  Yeah, I was going off of the wrong schedule when I only thought I'd be doing the mileage between Greenspun and White Halls only one day a week. Nooooo.  It's two days a week!  Mondays and Wednesdays!  Oh my gosh, I'm going to be a toothpick by the time this semester wraps.  That's a mile in either direction in 15 minutes.  Goodbye weight!

Today, I went through, and as I fully expected, Doc Fish is being his usual wonderful self because there is all sorts of goodies on WebCampus (the university web software that holds course information) for my Global Media class, from the quizzes that I've already taken (that aren't due until next Monday) to all sorts of examples of what we're going to be tackling this semester.

What I didn't expect was what I found in the syllabus for Personal Growth class.  Oh yes, I like this class already.   Here, by way of the topic list, you'll understand.

  • Barriers to personal growth
  • Developing awareness
  • Childhood and family influences
  • Adulthood and adolescence
  • Variables in Growth/Locus of Control
  • Body and Wellness
  • How to change successfully
  • Managing Stress  <-----OMG!  Right here!  Need to learn that!
  • Work and Recreation
  • Becoming the person you want to be  <-----another OMG moment
  • Motivational Interviewing
  • Love  (woot!  KP week!  LOL)
  • Theories of Love
  • Relationships 
  • Sexuality (to quote my niece and nephew "bow chicka wow wow")
  • Loneliness and solitude (been there, done it, got the t-shirt)
  • Sharing Reflections from Experiences (that one made me laugh...you know exactly why)
  • Death and Loss
  • Grief Process
  • Meaning and values
  • Making meaning
  • Pathways to Personal Growth
Ok y'all, does this not look like a tour-de-force of The Eternal Sophomore?  This is everything we've talked about, dealt with, laughed at, and the rest of the gamut on the way.  Two years summed up by one course.  However, it doesn't talk about crack smoking GPS ladies or wacky adventures in online worlds...LOL.

In a way, I kind of feel sorry for my professor because she's asking for individual journal entries on "awareness", "family influences", "personal timeline and reflection", "reflection on relationships", a reflection on an exercise called "Getting Out of Yourself", and a piece on Self-Authorship.  Get this, each have to be only a page long, double spaced.  Is she kidding?  It's not possible!  Me, talking about all that stuff and keep it at a page, double spaced?   Jeez! For each thing it's a book in itself!  Oh yes, talking about Mom, Dad and Nan in one page...riiiiiiight.  Ok, try this, KP in one page.  Oh, like that's going to happen.  OMG.  That professor has no clue how incredibly complicated my life is...but then let's look at reality here, most of the kids in that class are going to be what?  18-23 at most?  They haven't had half of the experiences I've had thus far.  So yeah...that's going to be interesting.  I'm really going to have to compartmentalize and keep it very succinct without half of the details that I think should be in there.  Who knows, maybe she'll give me an extra page just for my age.  Is there a big kids table I can sit at for that class?

So, by way of the syllabi I've seen just half of what's in store for me this semester.  Tomorrow morning, we'll get the rest by way of my History and Intro to IMC classes.  

Yep, it's the beginning of another semester, one step closer, always moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment