Tuesday, August 25, 2009

First Day in Comp 2

I'll start out with my "sensory overload" list.  First day of anything is always sensory overload.

  • Forgot to pick up my other book for class *eek*  (I went after class and picked it up.)
  • 12:45pm Sitting on the floor of the classroom building, sipping on a Coke and waiting for class to start.
  • Students sitting in the hall as well, cool tiles (it was a hot day), feels nice to sit on them and cool down.
  • Backpacks on rollers like a suitcase.
  • Rollerblading student moves effortlessly like a phantom down the hall.
  • Entered the classroom.  Eerily quiet, 4 other people in the room as well.  5th student arrives.
  • Sounds - None - Just the soft whirring of the Air Conditioner.
  • 6th comes in, then 7th, still, nothing but silence.  
  • 8 minutes until class starts.
  • 9th walks in.
  • Chairs shuffle.
  • Can hear the slams of other classroom doors.
  • 10th comes in - true academic with heavier horn rims than what I wear.
  • 11th, a young aspiring athlete
  • 12th a young man who seems to be on a mission
  • 13th another young man who looks very insecure - like one of those high school boys who picked on other people because he wasn't sure of himself.
  • More silence - the sound of turning pages in books.
  • 14th walks in, wearing Lime Green flip-flops that looked as if they'd walked many a mile across campus, she sits down and starts playing with her cell phone.
  • 15th - An introverted young man with a Beatles hair cut.
  • I think to myself *I should have found a bathroom before class :( *
  • 16th comes in - spitting image of the boy anti-christ that terrorized me all throughout middle school.
  • 17th comes in - Looks like Wilbur Robinson forgot he was a computer generated character.
  • It's 1pm, still no professor.
  • Watching the girl 2 rows up putting out the fastest text message I've ever seen on her cell phone.
Finally at 1:10, the professor arrives.  A very stylish young man, could easily be younger than me.

Now, if I thought my raid leader in World of Warcraft F-bombed and ran, he's nothing compared to my Comp 2 professor.  I always thought teachers weren't supposed to cuss in front of their students, but this guy, he used the F-bomb very stylishly.  It was a very conversational "WTF" kind of thing.  Definitely not what I expected.

He takes roll, he asks us to introduce ourselves.  I take the longest of anyone.  Big story, lots to tell, hit the highlights, mention the son-of-a-bitch only in brief passing, only that he's toast, talked about Disney, a few other things, then left it at that.

Found out in going over the syllabus that there is a 7-10 page research paper due at the end of the semester.  I nearly threw up.  I started to ask myself, why the hell am I doing this again?  There were a few moments of "I'm too old for this shit" and other things, but driving in the car on the way home, it was more to the point of that I wasn't going to let it intimidate me...I said out loud to myself, "7 to 10 pages is nothing compared to the 2500 miles it will carry you." (One day I wish to visit Hawaii to see a friend.)  That's all I needed to reassure myself.

Before I did my first day in Comp 2, I thought for sure that I'd have a blast in that class, after all, when I write an e-mail or a blog post, it's easily 2 to 3 pages, and that's just me rattling off what happens to me.  But the 7-10 of a controversial subject (and you can only guess what I'm considering for my topic, "Religion in Schools") is another thing altogether.

Not sure if I'm in like with this class or not, but it is my most intensive, 2 days a week for an hour a day.  Lots of writing and TONS of reading.

Ok, that wraps it up for the "First Day" posts.  Now, it's on to the goods.

Next Entry: Thursday.

Stay tuned!  Please make sure if you have comments to hit the comments box!  Enjoy my experience with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment